Talk to Us 0818 323400

BHP Insurances Partnership Provides Vital Funds for NCBI

Conor Phelan              February 9, 2015

NCBI is the national sight loss organisation, providing practical and emotional support, rehabilitation services and other training designed to help people with sight loss to live independently.

Loss of independence as a result of sight loss has a huge impact on the individual and their family. Suddenly it can seem impossible to do simple things like make a cup of tea, read your post, leave the house or even to make a phone call independently. Others want to get back to work, move on to third level education or use the latest mobile and online technologies.

When people are dealing with the darkness of sight loss – unsure of what the future holds and uncertain of how to regain their independence – NCBI is there. Every year we work with 8,000 people, many of whom we are seeing for the first time as they adjust to sight loss. NCBI provides practical solutions and emotional support to enable people with sight loss to maintain their independence, through solutions such as magnifiers, technology training and mobility training (using a long cane).

Did you know that about 95% of people using NCBI services have some remaining vision, while only 5% are completely blind? We help people to maximise their remaining vision.

NCBI must raise €4 out of every €10 it spends on vital services so partnerships with organisations like BHP Insurances are a lifeline for us. We are delighted to announce that the BHP Insurances Irish Champion Hurdle raised €40,000 for NCBI. This amount provides much-need income, which goes directly to the provision of services to people with sight loss around the country.

Service user Aoiveen Simpson, who is in her early 60s and from Dublin, outlines what the service has meant to her. “People don’t understand the deep psychological and emotional journey a person with sight loss has to go through. But suddenly with NCBI’s help, I had a real choice. I could choose to stay locked away from the world or embrace it.”

Aoiveen Simpson

Aoiveen Simpson

NCBI would like to thank BHP Insurances for choosing us as the charity partner for the 2015 BHP Insurances Irish Champion Hurdle. We would also like to thank all those who helped create such a successful event. Your support makes a real difference in the lives of people with sight loss.

 

For more information on NCBI visit www.ncbi.ie or phone 01 8307033.

Like this article? Spread the word